Which Candy Bar Is The Worst For You?
Halloween is just around the corner and for a lot of people that means candy will be a staple around the house for a while.
I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but EatThis.com compiled some data and ranked 19 candy bars from worst to best for you. But, let's be real here, none of them are really 'good' for you. Keep in mind, all this data is for full-size candy bars.
Coming in at #19, which means its the 'best' for you is 100 Grand Bar. According to the article, "Even the last item on this list clocks in at 200 calories, which would be better allocated toward a healthy, fueling snack that won't leave you with a sugar crash a few hours later."
Now, let's jump ahead to the Top 5. If the 'best' candy bar for you has 200 calories, I can only imagine what the Top 5 holds!
5. Mr. Goodbar (One of my personal favorites.) Mr. Goodbar has 260 calories. Only slightly more than 100 Grand Bar. EatThis states, "Mr. Goodbar joined the Hershey's lineup in 1925 and was even marketed as a nutritional lunch option during the Great Depression because it includes peanuts. But even the peanuts pose a health problem—they are coated in fat and fried!" Probably why it's so delicious.
4. Chocolate Pay Day (Never had one of these before.) 260 calories as well and was a new version of the old favorite, Pay Day. However, the reinvention isn't figure-friendly, "Hershey's launched a Chocolatey PayDay. The new candy bar adds a chocolate coating—plus 20 more calories and 6 more grams of sugar—to the original candy bar. If you have to choose between the two, stick with the original!"
3. Baby Ruth (Goonies anyone?) 260 calories also. Baby Ruth has been around since 1921 and is a staple for most Halloween goodie bags. But, it's full of sugar at 28 grams!
2. Milky Way has only 240 calories, but you guys it has 31 grams of sugar! EatThis says, "The 31 grams of sugar in this candy bar is three times the amount of sugar you'd find in one glazed donut!" Did someone say donut? That sounds good too!
1. And the absolute worst candy bar for you according to EatThis.com is....3 Musketeers. You guys, I am genuinely shocked. I always thought 3 Musketeers was one of the 'lighter' options among candy bars. I mean, it's just nougat! However, according to the article, "Although it is slightly lower in calories than a few other contenders on this list, a full-sized 3 Musketeers bar comes in on top as the unhealthiest candy bar thanks to the whopping 36 grams of sugar in one serving. The American Heart Association recommends a maximum of 36 grams of sugar in a day for adult males, so a single 3 Musketeers bar blows your sugar budget for the day."
I think the lesson here is just to eat candy bars in moderation. Keeping it 100, I'm still going to have some candy bars once in a while.
To see the full list, click here.