Governor Daugaard Sets Three Goals for Education Task Force
Governor Dennis Daugaard has announced three goals for the Blue Ribbon Task Force on Teachers and Students.
Governor Daugaard said, “First, we want a quality system of schools focused on student success. Second, we want a workforce of great teachers. Finally, we want an efficient, effective funding system that supports those goals.”
The task force will be co-chaired by Sen. Deb Soholt (R-Sioux Falls) and Rep. Jacqueline Sly (R-Rapid City). Sen. Soholt and Rep. Sly chair the Education Committees in their respective chambers. Senator Soholt will be in class at Viewpoint University on 1140 KSOO, Monday at 4:30 PM.
Other members appointed by the Governor are:
- Sen. Corey Brown (R-Gettysburg)
- Sen. Troy Heinert (D-Mission)
- Sen. Billie Sutton (D-Burke)
- Sen. Craig Tieszen (R-Rapid City)
- Rep. Justin Cronin (R-Gettysburg)
- Rep. Paul Hawks (D-Hartford)
- Rep. Mark Mickelson (R-Sioux Falls)
- Rep. Steve Westra (R-Sioux Falls)
- Dr. Melody Schopp, Secretary of Education
- Tony Venhuizen, Gov. Daugaard’s chief of staff
- Jason Dilges, Commissioner of the Bureau of Finance and Management
These appointees will conduct stakeholder input meetings through the end of May, including meetings with school administrators, school board members, teachers and parents. After those meetings, additional task force members will be appointed to represent those stakeholder groups.
After stakeholder representatives are appointed, the task force will continue to meet through the summer and will finalize its recommendations in the fall.
The topics of teacher pay, student achievement, and funding education have been talked about in this state for years. Some years baby steps have been taken. Most years nothing has been accomplished. Maybe this working group will have the courage to go beyond the talk and create an action plan which will benefit our children, our teachers, ourselves.