Happy K9 Veteran Day! Have An Extra Bone!
We always talk about the men and women first responders who sacrifice their lives on a daily basis. But, sometimes their furry friends are right there with them on front lines. Today, we honor the "good boys" (and even girls) who risk their lives with their human companions when danger strikes.
Here are some interesting facts about K9s from the Hero 911 website that you may not have known:
- The first K9 dogs were first used in 1907 in New York City.
- Some dogs used in K9 forces could come from animal shelters.
- The bond between a dog and the officer is forever. The K9 dog stays with the officer's family while the dog is on duty and during retirement. These dogs are truly part of the family!
- This one is shocking. K9 dogs can tell the difference between identical twins! This is because these dogs are trained to use their nose, not their eyes.
- K9s are specifically trained to sniff out electronics. This can include hard drives or thumb drives.
- More than 100 search and rescue dogs helped find victims involved with the 9/11 attacks.
- Persians, Greeks, Babylonians, and Assyrians were some of the first cultures to have police dogs.
We salute our four-legged friends today and every day! Officers, please give the K9s some extra bones for their hard work and effort.