2022 Beijing Winter Olympics Fun Facts
It's the most wonderful time of every four years! The Winter Olympics!
The 2022 Winter Olympics are being hosted in Beijing and while a few of the events have already started, the Opening Ceremony will air on February 4 live early in the morning and rerun in primetime on NBC.
So to be prepared, let's go over a few of this year's Olympic fun facts!
- Team USA boasts 223 athletes, which is a Winter Olympics record!
- 14 years ago Beijing hosted the 2008 Summer Olympics making Beijing the first city to host a Summer and Winter Olympics!
- Five venues from the 2008 games have been repurposed for the 2022 games.
- The 2022 games will use 25 venues in Beijing and the neighboring city of Zhangjiakou.
- All the venues are powered with 100% renewable energy.
- Zhangjiakou is about three hours from Beijing by car, however, China has an intercity railway, which is the world's first driverless high-speed railway, cutting the commute down to 47 minutes!
- Bing Dwen Dwen the panda is the Beijing 2022 official mascot.
- This is the most gender-equal Olympic Games ever. 2,900 athletes are expected to attend and 45.4% of them are women.
- 91 countries are participating.
- There are a record 109 events across 15 sports.
- The 2022 Beijing Olympics have 7 new events:
- Women's monobob- a solo bobsledding event
- big air skiing
- mixed team snowboard cross
- mixed team aerials in freestyle skiing
- mixed team relay in short-track speedskating
- mixed team ski jumping
For a full schedule of events, click here.
TRENDING FROM RESULTS-TOWNSQUARE SIOUX FALLS:
- To Get to the 1932 Winter Olympics, You Had to Tame the Canton Ski Hill
- You Should See The Most-Expensive Sioux Falls House For Sale
- Downtown Sioux Falls Burger Battle 2022 Winner Is...
- Forget the Groundhog, When Spring Will Arrive in South Dakota?
LOOK: 20 Fascinating Photos From the First Modern Olympic Games in 1896
13 Famous Iowans