Faulty Strap Leads to Leg Amputation in Construction Accident
There are further details about the construction accident at 22nd and Grange Avenue on Monday at the Sanford Health campus.
Sioux Falls Police Officer Sam Clemens remarked that it happened very quickly when a piece of equipment failed.
“Sounds like there was a strap that broke steel beam when they were moving it that ended up crushing the guy’s leg below the knee.”
The hospital reported that the worker’s leg was amputated because of the severity of the injury, but the injury was not life-threatening.
Police said the 33 year-old man was injured when the beam broke loose from a crane while he and another worker were guiding it into place. The victim was assisted to the ground by his co-workers.
OSHA has been called in to investigate the accident. As of Tuesday morning there were workers back at the site.