South Dakota, Iowa, Minnesota Medalists at Great American Beer Festival
Several different Tri-Sate breweries brought home some hardware from last weekend's Great American Beer Festival in Denver.
The event awarded top prizes in 99 categories and 175 different beer styles.
Of the more than nine thousand entries at this year's event, five of the medalists were from South Dakota, Iowa, and Minnesota breweries - including a pair of gold medal winners.
Rye Beers (52 Entries)
- Gold: No. 68 Red Lager, The Freehouse, Minneapolis
Kellerbier or Zwickelbier (70 Entries)
- Gold: Copper Midge, Spearfish Brewing Company, Spearfish
Three other area breweries picked up silver and bronze medals at the festival.
German-Style Maerzen (162 Entries)
- Silver: Festbier, Big Grove Brewery & Taproom, Iowa City
American Fruit Beer (118 Entries)
- Bronze: Lemonade, Surly Brewing Company, Minneapolis, MN
Session Beer or Belgian-Style Table Beer (42 Entries)
- Bronze: Tip the Calf, Single Speed Brewing Tap Room, Cedar Falls
The winner for the best beer in the category was Away Days, an IPA by 1852 Brew Co. in Visalia, California. Second place went to Juicy Mid-Tones from Corn Coast Brewing in Lincoln, Nebraska, and third went to Make It Rain by Side Hustle Brewing in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.