Iowa Extending Income Tax Withholding Deposit Due Date
Iowans who own the State of Iowa money are getting more time to pay their taxes.
The Iowa Department of Revenue Thursday extended the filing and payment deadline for several state tax types, including income tax. In a press release, Director of Revenue Kraig Paulsen said the changes are designed to provide flexibility to hard-working Iowans whose lives have been disrupted. The changes, prompted by the coronavirus, are a result of an order signed by Paulsen.
The order extends filing and payment deadlines for income, franchise, and moneys and credits taxes with a due date on or after March 19, 2020, and before July 31, 2020, to a new deadline of July 31, 2020.
Specifically, the order includes:
- IA 1040 Individual Income Tax Return and all supporting forms and schedules
- IA 1040C Composite Return and all supporting forms and schedules
- IA 1041 Fiduciary Return and all supporting forms and schedules
- IA 1120 Corporation Income Tax Return and all supporting forms and schedules
- IA 1120F Franchise Tax Return for Financial Institutions and all supporting forms and schedules
- IA 1065 Iowa Partnership Return and all supporting forms and schedules
- IA 1120S S Corporation Return and all supporting forms and schedules Credit Union Moneys and Credits Tax Confidential Report
According to the press release, the deadline extension applies to all tax returns listed above -- and any tax due associated with those returns -- if the due date is on or after March 19 but before July 31 of this year. The extension does not apply to estimated tax payments.
The deadline extension applies to Iowa residents or other taxpayers doing business in the state who are required to file the Iowa returns listed above.
Iowa Department of Revenue officials said no late-filing or underpayment penalties shall be due for qualifying taxpayers who comply with the extended filing and payment deadlines in Paulsen's order. Interest on unpaid taxes covered by this order shall be due beginning on August 1, 2020.
According to Revenue officials, state income tax refunds are currently being processed at about the 30-day mark. Taxpayers can check the status of their refunds at the department’s website Where’s my Refund page.
Taxpayers and tax professionals who need assistance can contact the department by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the taxpayer services phone line at 515-281-3114 or 1-800-367-3388.