Native American Performer Returs To South Dakota More Than 100 Years After His Death
(AP) - The remains of a Native American man are being returning to South Dakota more than a century after he died while touring in Connecticut with a western-themed show.
Twenty-year-old Albert Afraid of Hawk died from food poisoning in 1900 while touring with Buffalo Bill's Wild West show. He was buried in an unmarked grave in Danbury, Connecticut. Family members weren't sure where he was buried until a history buff in Connecticut pieced together the details.
Afraid of Hawk's remains have since been returned to South Dakota, and he will be buried among his family and tribal members on the Pine Ridge reservation today.
Relative Marlis Afraid of Hawk says she is grateful that his long road home is almost complete.