Road Trip: Beatles Exhibit Coming to Mall of America
Where were you August 21st, 1965?
If you were in and around the Twin Cities that night 49 years ago, maybe you were one of the lucky 25,000 at Met Stadium to see The Beatles perform their first, and only, Minnesota show of their career.
But if you're like me, and tens of thousands of others, you were never fortunate enough to see the Fab Four in the flesh.
Well, now The Beatles are returning to the site of the old stadium, kind of.
The Midwest Music Museum, the GRAMMY Museum, and Fab Four Exhibits are bringing some artifacts from The Beatles to Mall of America later this summer.
'Ladies and Gentlemen...The Beatles' will explore and celebrate the bands’ impact on the America from the perspective of fans. The exhibit will feature original Beatles materials including memorabilia, records, photographs, tour artifacts, videos, and more.
Some of the things you'll see:
• Paul McCartney’s jacket worn at Shea Stadium
• Original drum head from the Ed Sullivan Show
• Original Cavern Club membership cards
• Original contracts and documents
• Original concert ephemera
• Ringo Starr’s jacket worn on the Abbey Road cover
• Rare recordings from the UK and US
• Learn to play the drums with Ringo Starr
• Strum an acoustic guitar similar to the one used by the band in their early days (all ages)
• Share your memories of The Beatles in our Oral History Booth!
• Never before seen photos of the band taken by American tour manager Bob Bonis.
With Paul McCartney already in the area around that time, with shows in Fargo in July, and at Target Field in August, and now this - it's going to be a great summer for us Beatles' fans!