The Best Home Remedies For a Wide Variety of Ailments
Before pharmacies, our parents, grandparents and great-grandparents cured ailments with remedies from Mother Nature. My mom is 85 years old and when she was growing up, it wasn’t convenient to go to the doctor. Mom remembers a “horse doctor” coming to town one day a week, but they rarely went to him. When she was around 8 years old, she had an abscess in her ear and throat. Someone told Grandpa to use equal parts of glycerin and water to treat the abscess. They didn’t have any glycerin and there wasn’t anyplace close to buy some. Luckily a neighbor had some and brought it over. Mom said it hurt like hell. Grandpa then heated a flat iron and wrapped a wet towel around it and held it to her ear. The steam from the iron helped, and the next morning the abscess started to heal.
I would not recommend that treatment today.
Discovery Health has come up with a list of home remedies that can help cure and heal common ailments.
- Peppermint can be used to soothe an upset stomach. It can also help with nausea, headaches and treating skin problems.
- Honey can soothe a sore throat and also be a sleep aid that can be taken before bed time.
- Lemon juice combined with honey can ease a sore throat and an upset stomach. Or try hot water with lemon juice to get rid of a cold or help with weight loss.
- Another cold remedy is ginger, which can also be used to treat congestion, nausea and headaches. Drink ginger tea, use the root, essential oils or supplements.
- Garlic can lower cholesterol, reduce blood pressure, combat cancer, fight fungus, cure colds, remove warts and improve the immune system.
- Aloe vera has been considered a curative plant for millennia. It has been shown to cure dry skin disorders and can be used on burns and rashes.
- In addition to having a germicidal effect, cinnamon helps improve circulation and relieve discomfort in the abdomen.
- Baking soda makes an excellent remedy for itchy skin. It can also be used to treat heartburn and acid indigestion. See 10 Home Remedies for Itching and 14 Home Remedies for Heartburn to learn more.
- Vinegar has numerous health benefits. It can be used to treat headaches, muscle aches, sunburns, sore throat, congestion and poison ivy. See Uses for Vinegar to learn more.
- Licorice root soothes coughs and ulcers, reduces inflammation, controls blood sugar, treats cold sores and balances hormones.
- Rich in vitamin C, cranberries may be able to cure what ails you. They are commonly used to prevent and provide relief from urinary tract infections.
- Bruise easily? In addition to vitamin C found in cranberries, consuming citrus fruits, peppers, plums, broccoli and berries can help strengthen blood vessels.
- Eating soy products can prevent some of the symptoms and risks associated with menopause. It also decreases LDL cholesterol.
- Lavender oil is sometimes rubbed into the temples for head pain, added to bath water for an anxiety-reducing bath and can be used to alleviate bloating and insect bites.
- Headaches can also be treated with feverfew, skullcap and ginkgo biloba.
- Witch hazel is used as an herbal skin care remedy. It acts as an astringent to tighten pores and shrink swollen skin. It can also be used for bruise care and swimmer’s ear.
- St. John’s Wort is commonly used to treat depression and anxiety. Plus, it is anti-inflammatory and can be used for strains, sprains and contusions.
- Chamomile can also be used as a stress reducer and help with menstrual cramps, stomach problems and sleep disorders.
- Epsom salt baths can ease muscle and joint pain as well as soften skin. Some people claim that Epsom salt baths can also help detoxify the body through reverse osmosis.
This is just a small list. Find home remedies for cold sores, body odor, hiccups and more by clicking here.