‘I Go Out Walkin’, After Midnight, Under The Moonlight’. No, It’s Not Patsy Cline…It’s Sioux Falls!
According to a poll completed by Gallop and Healthways released Tuesday, March 25th, 2014, Sioux Falls, South Dakota ranks in the Top 10 safest places to walk at night. The poll ranked 189 different cities and metropolitan areas based on 500,000 interviews done by residents across the United States.
Factors and questions that helped determine the the safest/unsafest places to walk included the emotional and physical health of those being asked, safety in their community, the ability to get to a shelter, access to food and health care and job satisfaction.
The Top 10 Safest Places To Walk At Night Are:
- Holland-Grand Haven, Michigan
- Fort Collins-Loveland, Colorado
- Provo-Orem, Utah
- Honolulu, Hawaii
- Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- Des Moines-West Des Moines, Iowa
- Barnstable, Massachussetts
- Portland-South Portland-Biddeford, Maine
- Boulder, Colorado
- San Luis Obispo-Paso Robles, California
On the flip-side of the poll, The Bottom 10 Unsafest Places To Walk At Night belong to:
- Yakima, Washington (#180)
- Stockton, California (#181)
- Modesto, California (#182)
- Columbus, Ohio (#183)
- McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, Texas (#184)
- Mobile, Alabama (#185)
- Fayetteville, North Carolina (#186)
- Memphis, Tennessee (#187)
- Huntington-Ashland, West Virginia (#188)
- Fresno, California (#189)
This is the sixth year that the survey has been completed.
Source: Argus Leader.com